TRAVEL

ACROPOLIS and around....

Monday, July 04, 2016

I've been living in Greece for a few years now but the ONE thing that never ceases to amaze me is how many, many tourists stream into Greece daily. During Summer it is definitely on a much higher level. Apart from the tourists visiting the beautiful Greek islands, which there are plenty to choose from, almost no tourist will ever leave Greece without visiting the Acropolis in the heart of Athens. This place has such a rich Ancient history and the birthplace of many firsts for the world like, Democracy, the Olympics and so much more.
I am not here to give you a History lesson on the Acropolis but rather a Sunday morning visit to the Acropolis and an insightful view around the Acropolis in Athens as a tourist/temporary citizen.
So let's go:
It is about nine o'clock Sunday morning and you cannot believe how long the line at the ticket center is of people wanting to visit the Parthenon - the magnificent temple that was dedicated to the goddess Athena, protector of the ancient city of Athens. Isn't it so amazing that here are still remaining structures that are existing since the 5th Century BC ( I cannot even wrap my head around how old this must be)?
And then there is this view at the foot of the Acropolis where you can see almost the entire city of Athens:
 Enough of ancient history and views, lets have fun. What better place than the Monastiraki Flea Market. This is definitely on the top 10 things to do, while in Athens. Sunday mornings are the BEST time to visit. Here you will find little souvenirs, paintings, books, clothes and so much more. The buzz and excitement in the air from the Monastiraki square to into the Flea Market is electrifying. So let's go and see what is to be found here:
And then I found the biggest shoe I've ever seen!!!!.
Make sure you are wearing flats when walking around here. You will notice their are loads of hills to traverse. Greece is one of the hottest countries in Europe, so always dress easy breezy and if you are like me not a fan of sun on the face, a hat is always a winner. A backpack is the ultimate bag to have for this sightseeing journey.
When you get tired of shopping and want a quick bite to eat or something to quench your thirst, there are plenty little restaurants on the sidewalk. Just select a table and wait to be served.
Notice how this entire area  is surrounded by these ancient structures. It is almost sacred, knowing that these ruins were here long before Christ.
As somebody who wasn't  born in Europe, I am always fascinated by these narrow streets/alleys, which you will find in so many European countries like Italy and Greece. I can never get enough of it. That is why you have to be in flat shoes to be able to get around and not get tired.

I am not sure whether I should hop on this train or not, but I am out of here. You cannot believe how many groups of tourists have just passed us, all on the way to the Acropolis and surrounding tourist sites.
 Thank you for reading and taking this journey with me. Until next time !!!
Look who I caught in the act. Just as tired! My partner, my lover and my best friend in Greece !!!!



You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. OMG Charlotte your pictures are fabulous!Such a Gorgeous post!And you look beautiful as always! xxx

    ReplyDelete

SUBSCRIBE

Like us on Facebook